Words and expressions. International Management Ltd
Contract dated 2 March, 2012
This Contact is made between:
International Management Ltd, London, United Kingdom, hereinafter referred to as Organiser and Economtraining, Moscow, Russian Federation, hereinafter referred to as Customer.
This Contract concerns the Programme for a Group of 10 senior bankers and foreign trade company executives (the Participants) from the Russian Federation as nominated by the Customer, scheduled to take place in London during 8 days in November, 2012. The exact dates are to be specified before 20 October.
Both parties to this Contract are bound by the terms and conditions of the Contract as set out below.
Article 3. Undertakings by the Organiser
• The Organiser will provide Business Skills Courses during the Programme which will collectively amount to not less than 15 hours of intensive classroom tuition, to be divided into 15 classroom "Sessions". Classroom Sessions will take place on Training Days (Monday through Friday).
• The Organiser will provide professional trainers to teach the Business Skills Courses who will have appropriate professional and/ or academic experience and expertise.
• The Organiser will provide an appropriate conference room at the Hotel in which the Business Skills Courses will be conducted.
After Pete studied the Contract carefully, the businessmen sign two copies, one for each party.
Then Pete invites David to celebrate the event at the restaurant in the evening. The next day David leaves Moscow for St. Petersburg.
Words and expressions
at somebody's premises–в чьём-либо помещении
referred to as– именуемый
to concern– касаться
to nominate– назначать, определять
to schedule– назначать, намечать, планировать
to specify– определять
both parties to the Contract– обе стороны, заключившие данный Контракт
to bind– связывать
terms– условия (частные, данные)
conditions– условия (общие)
terms and conditions– все условия
as set out below– как указано далее
to amount to not less than– составлять не менее
to divide– делить
to train– обучать
to conduct– проводить
1. Underline the sentences true to the text:
• The businessmen meet in the lounge to sign the Contract.
They meet in David's room of the hotel.
They meet in Pete's office.
• The Contract has been prepared by Pete.
The Contract has been prepared by David.
The Contract has been prepared by Nick.
• Unit 10 gives the complete text of the Contract.
Unit 10 gives a part of the Contract.
Unit 10 gives the complete text of one article.
• Pete studies the Contract carefully.
Pete doesn't read the Contract
Pete looks through the Contract.
• Pete invites David to the restaurant to celebrate the event.
Pete is very busy. He cannot invite David to celebrate the event
David invites Pete to the restaurant to celebrate the event.
• The next day David leaves for London.
The next day David leaves for St. Petersburg.
The next day David leaves for New York.
2. Find English equivalents in the text of the Contract:
• Контракт от 2 марта; Контракт заключен между…; именуемый в дальнейшем "Организатор"; именуемый в дальнейшем "Заказчик"; Предметом Контракта является Программа; участники, указанные Заказчиком; Программа, которая должна проходить в Лондоне; Точные даты должны быть определены до... ; Обе стороны, заключившие данный Контракт, связаны условиями, указанными ниже.
• обязанности Организатора; Организатор обеспечивает проведение курса обучения деловым качествам (умениям) ; курс, который в целом составит не менее 15 часов; интенсивное обучение в аудитории; обучение, которое будет состоять из 15 аудиторных занятий; учебные дни; с понедельника по пятницу; Организатор обеспечивает профессиональных лекторов; для проведения курса обучения деловым качествам (умениям); лекторы, которые должны иметь соответствующий профессиональный и/ или научный опыт; Организатор обеспечивает соответствующий конференц-зал, где будет проходить обучение.
3.Make sentences and translate them into Russian:
• This Contract is made between … (International Managment Ltd and Economtraining, an English company and a Russian one, two parties).
• This Contract concerns … (a training Programme for bankers, a training Programme for foreign trade businessmen, a training Programme for Russian executives).
• The exact dates are to be specified … (in October, not later than 20 October, before 20 October).
• The Organiser will provide … (Business Skills Courses, professional trainers, a conference room).
4. Translate into Russian:
International Managment Ltd hereinafter referred to as Organiser; Economtraining hereinafter referred to as Customer; executives as nominated by the Customer; terms and conditions as set out below; tuition to be divided into 15 classroom sessions; Monday through Friday; experience and expertise; appropriate professional experience; appropriate professional experience and expertise; appropriate conference room; Business Skills Courses; a room in which the Business Skills Courses will be conducted.
5. Read the following:
a group of ten senior bankers and foreign trade company executives; during eight days in November; article three; part one point five; part one point six; part one point seven; fifteen hours of classroom tuition
7. Complete as in the text:
This Contract is made between ... Organiser and ... Customer.
Both parties ... bound ... set out below.
The Organiser ... trainers to teach ... Courses who shall have appropriate ...
The Organiser will provide an appropriate ... in which the Business Skills Courses ...
8. Complete the sentences and make similar ones:
This Contract concerns ... Programme ... as nominated by the Customer.
This Programme is scheduled to take ... November, 2012.
The exact dates are ... 20 October.
The Organiser will provide ... Courses amounting to 15 hours of ... tuition.
The tuition will be divided ...
Classroom sessions will take place on ...
Two weeks before the group is to leave Moscow for London Pete telephones David. His secretary answers the call.
Secretary: International Management here, can I help you?
Pete: Good afternoon. My name is Smirnov from Economtraining, Moscow, Russia. Could I speak to Mr. Hill, please?
Secretary: Hold on, please. I'll just see if Mr. Hill is available ... I'm putting you through.
Pete: Thank you
Pete: David, good afternoon. I am sorry to disturb you but we have a problem I am afraid.
David: What kind of problem is it?
Pete: Well, you see, one of the participants has fallen ill and he won't be able to join the group.
David: I'm certainly sorry to hear that. First I 'll have to make another reservation for a single room since the number of participants isn't even now. Besides it will cause changes in the Programme Fee.
Pete: Can you reduce the fee by one thousand pounds automatically?
David: I'm afraid it can't be done. Some of the expenses are not directly connected with the number of participants. For example hiring coaches for excursions, for airporthotel transfers and so on. I'll make calculations and send you the appropriate Amendment to the Contract.
Pete: Good. If I find the amended fee quite reasonable I shall immediately instruct the bank to make the transfer.
David: The reduction will be about nine hundred pounds and I hope you will pay for the Programme next week, as the Contract says.
Pete: When you make calculations please remember it's a force majuere case. Neither we nor you are responsible. We should split the expenses involved.
David: I agree with you and I'll take that into account. In an hour or so I'll send you the amendment.
David keeps his promise and sends the amendment in thirty minutes. Pete finds the amended Programme Fee quite acceptable, signs the Amendment and sends it by fax to David.
Words and expressions:
Hold on, please.– Не вешайте трубку
аvailable– доступный, наличный
I'm putting you through.– Соединяю вас.
to disturb– беспокоить
What kind of problem is it?– Какая проблема? (Какого рода проблема)
to make another reservation– сделать другой заказ (гостиницы)
even– ровный, четный
even number– четное количество
to cause– причинять, вызывать
to reduce the fee by ...– уменьшить стоимость на ..
to hire– снимать, арендовать, брать в лизинг
coach– автобус (большой, для международных перевозок)
to amend– дополнять, изменять
force majuere case– форс-мажор, непреодолимая сила, ни от кого не зависимые отрицательные обстоятельства, осложнения
to take into account = to take into consideration– принимать во внимание
to keep one's promise– сдерживать обещание
1. Underline the sentences true to the text:
• Pete telephones David.
David telephones Pete.
David's secretary telephones Pete.
• He makes this call two days before the group is to leave Moscow.
He makes the call one week before the Russian businessmen are to leave Moscow.
He makes the call two weeks before the businessmen are to leave.
• One of the participants has fallen ill.
Mr Lvov, Group Leader, has fallen ill .
Two participants have fallen ill.
• David will have to change the hotel reservation.
Pete says he has changed the hotel reservation.
Pete says he will have to change the hotel reservation.
• This change causes the change of the fee.
This change does not cause the change of the fee.
The businessmen do not speak about the change of the fee.
• David promises to telephone to settle the problem.
David promises to send a fax message to settle the problem.
David settles the problem dining the telephone talk.
2. Read the following:
• go, group, get, good, glad, single, again, programme, agree
• colleague, greet, greetings, change, changes, page, message, gentleman, gentlemen, apologise
• planning, putting, producing, having
• meeting, entering, sending, working
• The secretary answers the call. It will cause changes in the Programme. Can you reduce the fee?
ranslate the sentences into Russian:
1) I am putting you through. 2) Now they are entering the office. 3) They are leaving Moscow next week. 4) We are planning to send a group in November. 5) We sometimes send groups to England. 6) I'm making a note of that.7) I often make notes at business talks. 8) David is staying at the Russia hotel. 9) He often stays there.10) They are working at a very important project now and cannot leave for the mountains. 11) She likes her work, they usually work at a few interesting projects at a time.
4. Make short dialogues:
Example: — Is she busy now?
— Oh, yes, she is sending a fax message.
• Pete / to speak with David
• Nick / to prepare for a talk
• your boss / to have a business talk
• the secretary / to speak over the telephone
5. Translate into English:
Петр звонит Дэвиду.
Сейчас Дэвид отправляет Петру факс.
Петр занят. Он читает факс.
Что делает сейчас Дэвид?
6. Translate into Russian:
1) David is answering Pete's call. 2) Two weeks before the group is to leave Moscow Pete telephones David. 3) The group is leaving for London in November. 4) The secretary answers Pete's call. 5) Can I help you? 6) Could I speak to Mr. Hill, please? 7) Hold on, please.8) I'll see if he is available. 9) I'm putting you through.
7. Match English and Russian equivalents:
8. Insert prepositions:
Besides it will cause changes ... the Programme fee.
Can you reduce the fee ... 1000 pounds automatically?
Some … the expenses are not directly connected ... the number of participants.
The number ... participants isn't even now.
… example, hiring coaches ... excursions, ... airport — hotel transfers and so on.
I'll make calculations and send you the appropriate amendment ... the Contract.
9. Complete the dialogues and act out similar ones:
• — International ... here. Can I , . you?
— Good afternoon. My ... Russia. Could I speak ...?
— Hold ... I'll just see ... available. I'm ... through.
— Thank ...
• — Speaking.
— David, good afternoon. I'm sorry ... problem, I'm afraid.
— What kind ...?
— Well, you see, one ... ill and he won't be able ...
— I'm certainly ... First I'll have to make ... since the number ...
• — Besides it will cause ... fee.
— Can you reduce ...?
— I'm afraid, it can't be done. Some of the expenses ... connected … participants. For example, hiring coaches ... transfers and so on. I'll make calculations and ... appropriate ...
• — If I find the amended fee quite ... I shall immediately ... bank transfer
— The reduction will be about ... and I hope you will pay ... as the Contract says.
— When you make calculation ... force majeure ... Neither we nor you are responsible. We should ...
— I agree with ... and I'll take ... In an hour or so I'll ...